In My Write Mind
7.17.2005

Sunday Stanzas

**Soundtrack: Make It Happen, Emotions, Mariah Carey**

Intro--Stanza 1

I've got music on my menu on this lazy Sunday. (Wait, should I say that in drunken rhyme form like Boris did in Brown Sugar? LOL) So I'm online reading my most favorite online magazine in the world (big, big shout out to him and her...love their creativity, their vision...and I'm not just saying that because I write for them...lol) in which one of my fellow writers conducted an interview with the group Fatty Koo. *stop snickering* The interview caught my attention enough to make me want to listen to the CD. Sooooo...I did what any other self-respecting, curious blogger would do. Buy the CD? Hellus Nous. I went on over to her site and previewed the disc.

And you know what? I kinda like it. Sure, I know they have a reality show on BET. Yes, I'm aware that the oldest member of the group is probably 12, thus making the subject matter on their CD too advanced for them to be taken seriously. But still... after listening, there was something about it. Maybe it was the fact that they play instruments. Maybe it was the vocals of Eddie and Valoure (lawd, hoping that's just a stage name...Yeesh!) on the track "Chills," sounding like a young Jesse Powell and India.Arie. Maybe it was the amount of alcohol I consumed on Saturday night. Who knows? What I do know is that the CD is not that bad. Please check it out, see what you think and let me know. Thanks. *heading over to So.ny B.MG to collect my check for big-upping their fledgling group*

Stanza 2

Just a crazy observation while watching the Bernard Hopkins - Jermain Taylor middleweight championship fight on PPV Saturday night. While the 40-year old Hopkins came bopping into the ring to some hip hop nonsense, the 26-year old Taylor came in to the old school strains of... Phil Collins?!?!? Go figure. And considering the outcome of the fight, there must be something about that old school...LOL

Stanza 3-- The Bridge

Wait...is what I'm hearing true? Is it true that Mariah Carey's latest CD, The Emancipation of Mimi, is still at #1 after six weeks?!?!? That's not just a normal comeback. That's on some ole John Travolta-after-doing-the-Look Who's Talking-trilogy-and-scoring-Pulp Fiction-type comeback shit. It's indescribable. Unprecedented even. Go Mariah!

Stanza 4

My organization will be in DC next week for our annual convention. (Next year...Atlanta.) We will be celebrating our 95th year of empowering communities and changing lives. There will be a career fair and exhibit hall set up inside the convention center from next Wednesday thru Friday, a concert gala on Thursday featuring Brian McKnight and India.Arie (I promise not to mention her name again during this post...lol), plus a Cultural Night on Friday featuring Chuck Brown and Doug E. Fresh. Good times.

Outro--Stanza 5

This final stanza goes out to my niece, who celebrated her birthday on the same day as two of my favorite bloggers (Eddie Mack and EJ da DJ). Today, she packed up her rental car and moved to start a new life in Charlotte, NC. Her children, who are spending the summer in California, will join her there next month. I know that she will make it happen there just like she made it happen when she moved to the west coast so many years ago. I love you. I miss you already. Happy Birthday.

That's all I've got for this Sunday... the notes have stopped flowing.

scribbled by Will at 7/17/2005 12:15:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com