In My Write Mind
6.03.2005

I'm THAT Guy...


A Friday Face-to-Face...with Myself Posted by Hello

After living with myself for 34 years, I've finally figured out that I'm THAT guy...lemme explain.

I'm the guy who seemingly has it all together, when in reality, life scares me just as much as the next person... I'm that guy that sometimes has communication issues, due mostly to growing up in a home with a tremendous generation gap and siblings that were grown and gone... I'm that guy that women call harmless, although some would subconsciously disagree... I'm that guy that is definitely a team player and works hard, learning all that I can along the way...

I'm the guy that will get in trouble for both what I say and what I don't say *smh* because my facial expressions give me away every time... I'm that guy that older black people look to on the subway when "our people" start to act a fool, giving me that "can you believe this shit?" look... I'm that guy that occasionally has self-confidence issues (often confused with being shy) due to a lifetime of being afraid that people would abandon him, starting with my birth father on up tnrough relationships and often sabotages them before the other party gets the chance (DING! Clearly that explains why I'm still single...lol)...

I'm that guy that people come up to on the streets asking for directions...in different languages... I'm that guy that wears his heart on his sleeve... I'm that guy that's been scared of success his entire life... I'm that guy who communicates much better via the written word, thus causing annoyance and frustration for those I should be communicating with vocally... I'm that guy you'll find on the subway either with a book up to my nose or just observing random things, mind racing with thoughts and ideas...

I'm that guy that loves women, and music, and kissing, and movies, and sports, and family...not necessarily in that order... I'm that guy who would rather crack a joke than break a heart... I'm that guy that you don't want to cross, because once my anger surfaces, fuggetaboudit... I'm that guy that doesn't need to be the center of attention (ducking tomatoes from fellow Leos) and would rather observe than draw undue attention to himself...

I'm that guy that will give you the world and ask for nothing in return but your respect... I'm that guy who you will read about someday and say, "damn, don't I know him from somewhere?"... I'm that guy who can become extremely selfish with those who I deem important and special, wanting, no, craving THEIR attention more than usual... I'm that guy who has made some questionable decisions, but has learned valuable lessons from each and every one...

I'm that guy...that average guy...a black man trying to make things happen...who is grateful for all of the support, the resistance, the lessons, the positive, the negative, the love, the loves lost, the ebbs and the flows...not the strongest guy, not the weakest guy, not the most entertaining, but I do's my thang (LOL), not the most verbose, but no slouch when it comes to linguistics, not the best, not the worst...

But dude, best believe...I'm.THAT.guy.

respect...bitches.

scribbled by Will at 6/03/2005 09:12:00 AM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com