In My Write Mind
5.31.2005

Grrrr...

*Sigh* EJ has tagged me yet again with a MEME...this one's on music. And I will comply. However, before I go anutha furtha, lemme just say from henceforth and forevermore:

***I HEREBY DENOUNCE ALL MEMES AND, GOING FORWARD, WILL RETURN THEM TO THEIR SENDERS EMPHATICALLY AND WITHOUT FEAR OF RETRIBUTION!!! FROM THIS POINT ONWARD, I WILL NEVER RESPOND TO ANOTHER TAG, FORWARD OR QUERY REGARDING MEMES, THUS RENDERING THEM NULL AND VOID AS STATED IN THE WILL DAWSON PA.TRIOT ACT OF 2005.***

Thank you.

Now...*ahem* on to the MEME. LOL

1. What is the total volume of musical files on your computer?

128.0 kbps (whatever that means...lol)

2. What song are you listening to right now?

We Belong Together, Mariah Carey, The Emanicipation of Mimi or, as I like to call it, the "Lovers and Friends" remix...lol

3. Last CD I bought?

Tweet, It's Me Again (I really haven't bought any new music lately. Between Honey and the OSWs, I'm pretty much taken care of musically here at work. *shrug* )

4. Five songs you listen to a lot and which mean something to you:

Cross My Mind, Jill Scott, Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Volume 2.
I think we allll know that this woman can sing the phone book to me and I'd be A-OK. Since I've been driving a lot the past two weeks, it seems like I always catch this song on the radio. It made me pull out the CD and just listen to her reminisce about that person whom she loved but just couldn't stay with for whatever reason... Sooooo...amazingggggg!!! Still sends chills up my spine. And it causes me to think on similar experiences. Sigh. I lubb me some Jilly.


I Love the Dough, Notorious B.I.G. featuring Jay-Z, Life After Death.
There's just something about this song that puts me in summertime mode. Like you should be driving down the FDR or I-95 with this song blaring through your speakers. Well...since I live in Harlem...and thus have no use for a car...my home stereo speakers with the windows wide open will have to do. It means a lot to me because the flow is sick, with BIG and Jay rattling off metaphor after metaphor ("cases, catch more than outfieldors"...classic!...I miss B.I.G.), sounding like the kings of Brooklyn that they are. Plus, shiiiiiiit...e'rybody lubb da dough! Don't front. LOL

Fields of Gold, Sting, The Best of Sting 1984-1994.
I used to work nights. And during the days, you could always catch me at my boy Greg's house. Eating his mom's spaghetti, flirting with his gorgeous cousin, making his mom and sister laugh, playing video games. And we would always hit up the matinees. We'd sneak in some beef patties and coco bread and relax. The people at the booth knew us, that's how often we'd be there. LOL He had a girlfriend who lived in Brooklyn, and when we'd go pick her up, he would always rock The Best of Sting. And he would sing that song, "Fields of Gold", off-key, proudly...and loudly, each time it came on. It stuck with me. He died from complications due to injuries suffered while riding a motorcycle back in 2001. I miss him. And every once in a while...I play the song...and sing it...loudly, proudly, and yes, off-key. R.I.P. Greg.

A Song for You, Donny Hathaway, These Songs for You LIVE!
Ahh, Donny. I've always loved "A Song for You." Most people see it as depressing, seeing that he's singing about a lost love. Not me. I see it as inspiring, if only because of the emotion he pours into each note. Dude is acting out his life in stages during this entire song!!! And the live version? Yeah, ummm...I'm gonna need you all to peep that version. I think it's even better than the original. As does the crowd he sang in front of back in 1971. They literally go crazy with each note! I came across this song on Music Choice earlier this year and it made me appreciate it even more. Shout out to Donny. May he rest in peace! This song stays in my rotation!!!

I Really Love You Girl, Bobby Brown, Don't Be Cruel.
This song takes me back to summertime in St. Albans. My boy El and I would ride around pumping the "...Cruel" cassette like there was no tomorrow. And I still have the tape with the faded lettering to prove it. LOL This song was one of the most overlooked of the collection. I asked someone a few weeks ago if they ever heard it, and they gave me a blank look. A scrunch of the face even. And then, in true TDS fashion, they ask me to sing a few bars. Lawd...whyyyyyyyyyyy? I didn't do it. Instead, I refer them to the internet to look it up. Sure the composition is uneven and Bobby is screeching a lil bit, but I still love the song. Dude really, really, really loved this girl. LOL "I think I have found the girl for me...and she'ssss the only one I neeeed...we fit together like a hand in a glove...and there's never a dull moment...when we make love...." Go Bobby. Go Summertime. Yup, I still listen to it. Hey, hey...don't be cruel. LOL

scribbled by Will at 5/31/2005 04:47:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com