In My Write Mind
4.12.2005

Til We 'Meat' Again...

I know. I miss him. And every time I see you, I think about him.

You were always there. Solitary, yet so accommodating. You never asked for much. I respected your strength, your presence. I still do. The way you still stand bravely in the face of the elements after all these years. Never wavering. I look in your face and see stability. You're like a rock.

You were around since before I was born. That gives you a longevity that can't really be measured. You were quiet; some might even say stoic. That was just you. Even with a "grill" as big as all outdoors, you never said much. But when you did blow off steam...everybody knew. There was no hiding it. In fact, you never tried to hide when you were hot. THAT is when you were at your best. It seemingly inspired you to do your best work. I loved that.

You and my dad had the best relationship. It was equal parts skill and science, ebb and flow, mesquite and mosquitoes. Looking back, I realize that it was a partnership, a give and take. Definitely understood each other. "Matched" one another all the way. There was many a day that you guys shined in the sunlight. Drew raves and applause. It can be argued that it was the greatest show on Earth.

I always envied that fire in your eye, that glow, that spark that he gave you...that unforced chemistry; made me want to give you the "coal" shoulder as he loaded them on. His "fluid" requests, your "incendiary" responses--I just couldn't take it. Guess you could say I had a "beef" with you. I was jealous the way a little boy who lived for his father's attention would be. He gave you his soul while seasoning filet of sole; a rare passion while prepping rare burgers; his whole heart while handling hot dogs. His time while turning over tenderloin. Can you blame me?!?!? You have to know that it was a healthy type of jealous.

Still, I will miss the way you worked together. I know you will, too.

Every time I see the way you've held yourself together, I feel that if you can do it, I can, too. Of course, it's not that simple. Sometimes I wish I could be more like you, the epitome of mortar and stones; alas, I'm merely an inferior compilation of skin and bones.

He was who made both of us go, made us feel important. For all accounts and purposes, he was who fanned our flames. Our relationships, while different, were just as lasting. Sometimes I wonder if you and I will ever have that type of repartee, that ability to make people happy, to nourish them. That ability to bring out the best in you like he did. I think about you and I combining our ample talents one bright, summer day. It can happen. Hell, I'll be positive. It WILL happen. It has to.

I look forward to that day. Especially now. This would be around the time you'd start coming around in full force. Around the time you'd make your presence felt. You may feel like that's not the case anymore. Let me let you know something. I know you're there. I see you.

And soon, we will combine and make some history of our own. It won't be the greatest show, but it will definitely be the greatest tribute...to a man that literally touched both of our lives.

And when that day comes, when we "meat" again, we will both definitely feel his presence...let's work on rekindling that fire. This summer, let's climb out of the "pit" together. You and me.

For him.

scribbled by Will at 4/12/2005 08:07:00 AM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com