In My Write Mind
12.07.2004

SHOWing Off...

***Soundtrack--They Don't Know, Jon B., Cool Relax***

One of these days, things are gonna break my way, and I'll be in charge of DVD distribution for old television shows that made people laugh, cry and dance a jig. LOL Maybe one of these days I'll buy the rights to all of the TV shows I grew up watching, and release them to the masses, season by season, month after month. I'd release so many DVDs at one time, it'd look like South Africa after apartheid up in this piece. I guess that's how much I love television, how much of an impact old shows have had on my life...how much I loved growing up in the 70s and 80s.

And while I'm happy for the DVD sets of In.Living Color, The West.Wing and NY.PD B.lue, there are several other shows that could be, nay, SHOULD BE released ASAP. For the love of humanity. Or well, because I love em. I'm no math genius, but come on, how much more money can be had by casting old, past-their-prime actors to recreate their original small screen roles in reunion specials or movies. This...never works. Why?

1. They're old.
2. Nobody wants to see their favorite characters age, because it's never, ever done gracefully (Keisha Knight-Pulliam aside...LOL)
3. They're old.
4. There's almost always a re-cast in the reunion special or movie, someone who's either replaced or added because the original star has gotten too big for such nonsense or to bolster the show with a current star who's on the cusp because the original cast...IS OLD!!!!


Case in point: If they EVER want to do a renunion special for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, they COULDN'T!!!! Sure, Alfonso Ribeiro will be available (for Silver Sp.oons and In The Ho.use reunions as well...LOL), but would Will Smith even consider it? I mean, and even if he does, what would be the point? They sold the house and moved on their separate ways. Would it be Fresh Prince of Hawaii? Truth is, greed would be the determining factor.

And that sucks. Which leads me to talk about a movie that's coming out December 25 in worldwide release--everywhere except in my mind, that is. I can't even fathom going to see the new FAT ALBERT movie. HUH?!?!?!? WTH?!?!? The trailer has made me vomit on several occasions. I.can't.stomach.it. It's blasphemy...taking such a sacred cartoon and putting it in the hands of the sometimes-funny-but-not-Fat-Albert-material Kenan Thomps.on. Is this how we want to introduce this generation of kids to such a classic cartoon? Can this be stopped? Who do I have to call, petition or sleep with?!?!??!

I love that cartoon. Which leads me into today's list...

SHOWS I'D RELEASE IMMEDIATELY ON DVD IF I WERE IN CHARGE


  • FAT ALBERT & THE COSBY KIDS

(1972-1984) Taken from TVTome.com: Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids was a series about a group of urban adolescents growing up in a Philadelphia neighborhood. The show was based on Cosby's '60s stand up comedy monologues about his childhood. The episodes revolved around the daily life lessons learned by Albert and his friends. Topics ranged from social issues to personal introspection and were blended with humor and music. Among the many great characters that inhabited Fat Albert's world were Rudy, Mushmouth, Donald, Bill, Weird Harold and Russell. In 1979 the show was re-titled The New Fat Albert Show and featured a new segment called The Brown Hornet, a send-up of superhero cartoons starring a larger-than-life African-American crime fighter in outer space.

People, it ran for TWELVE YEARS!!! That's Flintstones and Simpsons territory. How can this not be in households already? There must be some legal snafu that's holding up the release of the signature cartoon of my childhood. This is why I need to be in charge. Seriously. Hell, from the theme song alone, this needs to be done! Remember?

"Hey, hey, hey! It's Fat Albert!"/And I'm gonna sing a song for you/And
Bill's gonna show you a thing or two/You'll have some fun now with me and all
the gang/Learning from each other/While we do our thing Nah, nah, nah -- gonna have a good time (hey, hey, hey!) Nah, nah, nah -- gonna have a good time "This
is Bill Cosby coming atcha with music and fun/And if you're not careful, you may
learn something before it's done! Hey, hey, hey!"/Nah, nah, nah -- gonna have a
good time/Nah, nah, nah -- gonna have a good time/Nah, nah, nah -- gonna have a good time



  • FAME (seeeeee? I couldn't even find a photo on the net to accompany this...OUTRAGEOUS!!!)

(1982-1987) Sure, we all know about Debbie Allen, Janet Jackson and Gene Anthony Ray--all worthy of their own blog posts. But do remember the show? A high school where singing and dancing through the hallways was encouraged, where practicing your tuba was considered a lab class, and where you could seemingly come and go as you please as long as you didn't get caught by Vice Principal Murdoch (the reason why I hate people with red hair to this day...lol)?!?!??! When I got to high school...and NOTHING looked like this...I remember crying my first day. Of course, those tears coulda been due to the school bully depositing my peanut butter sandwich on the ground, but that's a different blog...This was a wartermark for television, especially in the 1980s. Disco was on its way out. The hour drama was getting stale, pre-Hill Street Blues and Miami Vice. There was something missing from TV. And then came FAME!!! I wanna live forever!!!!

This show had it all. Sex appeal (Coco Hernandez, Holly Laird, Nia Peeples); comediennes that could sing like birds (Doris Schwartz); musicians who made it cool to rock poodle hairdos (Bruno Martelli); comedians who were a cross between Tony Danza and Danny Bonaduce (Danny Amatullo); cool teachers (Ms. Grant, Ms. Sherwood & Mr. Sharofsky); and unintentional comedy/some of the most wooden acting this side of a Keanu Reeves screentest (Leroy Johnson, Christopher Donlon and Jesse Velasquez) and even future bad actors like Michael DiLorenzo and Janet). And remember Mrs. Burg?!?!? She was the comedy highlight every week!! How is this not on DVD yet? Somebody get me an outside line!!!

I could go on and on about this show, but I won't. Just know this...another great theme song!!! You know the words...LOL

I have to stop now because, frankly, I've got some phone calls to make. But don't worry...I have a whole month off, which means I'll be back with more priceless TV shows, more pleas, and more useless info that you probably could care less about. Right now, though, if you'll excuse me, I have a fat kid in a red sweater that needs to be stopped.

Hey, Hey, Hey Hell!!! Grrrrr...

scribbled by Will at 12/07/2004 03:42:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com