In My Write Mind
11.19.2004

My New Spot

First things first, click here to ready my first entry into The UNDERGROUND, the Homeboy Journal. I figured I would give it it's own space separate from my regular stuff.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...LOL

Last night, I attended a New York Urban League Young Professionals event up in Harlem. They convened at the soon-to-be-opened Harlem Grill, which rests on 7th Avenue between 132nd and 133rd Streets--directly across the street from where I live. Directly across the street. IT'S GREAT!!!!!

I christened it as my new spot to hang. I picked out my personal bar stool and everything. LOL The owner, a cool dude by the name of Allen West, will be opening the spot formerly known as Wells in mid-January, and I promise, it will be a great place to go to chill. I can't wait.

Anyways, last night, the NYUL YPs held an event there celebrating what they called the FAB 5, entreprenuers that are doing their thing in Harlem. The roster was an impressive one, and included Jai Jai Ramsey, co-owner of Harlem's first black-owned wine shop, Harlem Vintage; Ran Toby, proprietor of 4 Ladies Eyes Only, specializing in relaxation tools for women; Kysha Harris, owner of SCHOP!, a personalized shopping service for those who just don't have the time or inclination; Celeste Beatty, owner of Harlem Brew, which produces Sugar Hill beer (they were giving out free beers last night...I was in heaven); and West, owner of Harlem Grill and former owner of Kwanzaa, which was located downtown.

They shared their insights on what it takes to start and succeed with your own business, tips on overcoming self-doubt and obstacles such as rejection and pessimism. It was a great session. Glad I went.

I not only learned more about doing my own thing, I think just maybe, I may have found my new spot...Priceless.

scribbled by Will at 11/19/2004 05:37:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com