In My Write Mind
11.06.2004

More Archivals...

Something else I wrote three years ago...Thought I lost this one.

Here it is...

A GRAY MATTER

By William I. Dawson


Oh, they’re there. In fact, sometimes, in the middle of the night, I swear I can feel them carousing with one another, playing the blues while smoking tiny cigarettes perched up to a tiny bar, exchanging stories about their midlife crises, their rites of passage.

No. 1: “Yep, that was me…all black and curly, in the prime of my life when, in ’95, that dude named Reggie scored eight points in ten seconds…changed my life forever.”

No. 16: “Huh, you think that’s something…that was me in the fall of ’99, fresh off a trim, feeling good, nice and svelte, appreciating the chill in the air, when here comes Kenny Rogers walking in the winning run to end the season. I was no good after that.”

Those are the stories of a select few of New York’s Bravest—strands of hair, that is. They were once vibrant, colorful members of society, only to turn old and gray in a matter of moments, now limited to telling tales of teams fallin’ like an Alicia Keys song. They are barely alive, not so much on top of their game as they are on top of my head. Never has “rooting” for the home team taken on such literal meaning.

Each time a New York sports team—and they know who they are--prematurely and unexplainably ends its season, a premature, unexplainable gray hair pops up on my disbelieving scalp. And I swear I can count them all, and trace them to an ugly episode involving one New York team or another. Like when John Starks went 1-18 in Game 7 of the Finals in ’94. Or when the Jets went to Denver and found a way to lose to the vulnerable Broncos in the AFC championship game a few years back. Heck, I think I got four this past spring for each foul Allan Houston amassed in the atrocious Game 5 loss to the Raptors at the Garden. If only the hairs could be as invisible as Houston was that night.

True, the Yankees have been winning everything in sight--NOW. But that wasn’t always the case. Remember when the Bombers literally bombed by losing a two game advantage to the Seattle Mariners in ’95. Back in 1993, two words caused ten grays—Charles Smith.

Or how about when Patrick Ewing did the electric slide to the basket against the Pacers, only to attempt a FINGER ROLL instead of dunking the ball in that infamous Game 7 in 1996??? My pain is deep. Can’t you hear the blues? And you know what? Along with all of that disappointment, that betrayal by attrition comes this promise:

It will not happen again.

That’s right, you heard it here first. No longer will I put pressure on myself for New York to win. No longer will “I Still Believe!” be accompanied by “I Need Aleve!” No more headaches. No more stress. No more gray. Que será será! Whatever happens, happens. No more worrying about the Mets not being able to climb Braves’ Mountain. No more cringing each time Kurt Thomas commits a foul. No more wincing when Vinny from Elmont throws another interception.

I will focus on the positives, such as enjoying each Michael Strahan sack, or appreciating the domination of Mariano Rivera (see…I didn’t even mention last night). I will crystallize every fancy Mark Jackson assist, and sit in awe at the distance of each Mike Piazza home run. But that’s it. No more gray hair for me. I’m barely 30 and my hair has done enough aging…well, for the ages. With that said, don’t worry, I’ll still be a New York fan until the day I die.

I just hope my hair doesn’t beat me to it.

scribbled by Will at 11/06/2004 06:14:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com