In My Write Mind
11.26.2004

A Friday 5 Things...

***Soundtrack: Truth Is, Fantasia, Free Yourself***

These are things I'm extremely thankful for on this post-Turkey Day...

1. I'm thankful that there have been no fights, brawls, stabbings or murders involving black athletes/entertainers in the past 3 days. (Minnesota's Michael Olowokandi getting tazered by cops doesn't count...he went clubbing in Indiana. I repeat, CLUBBING IN INDIANA!!! By doing so, he deserved what he got...LOL)

2. This probably belongs in THE UNDERGROUND, but I'll do it here just for today...LOL I'm thankful that I didn't get killed riding the subway the other day. Guess that's what the saying means when it says that God looks out for babies and fools. 'Cause apparently I was stupid to stand where I normally stand to catch the train in the mornings. This dude, who was sitting on the bench near the wall, jumped up ranting and raving, muttering that I should've stood somewhere else, that he should kill me for standing where I was. I froze. Here I was, on a New York City subway platform, inches away from the tracks, completely vulnerable if Cray-Z decided he wanted to do a remix of LL's new song and just "Pushhhhh!" What to do,what to do...

  • Should I stand completely motionless like a statue and hope that the ole "if I don't move, he won't make one" theory holds water?
  • Should I give him the ole gas face and hope that my hairy eyebrows and crooked nose scares him back into retreat mode?
  • Should I try and step awayyyy from the tracks with small steps like I was part of a Mary Tyler Moore episode?
  • Should I run like the dickens, thus risking him chasing me around...on a subway platform...in Harlem?
(I'm gonna make this one of those old-fashioned Choose Your Own Ending joints...you can either choose an ending from above or make up what you think I should've done. Leave it all in the comments section and I will post what really happened later today. Whomever guesses correctly wins, ummm...err ahhh...looking around desk...AN UNOPENED POST-IT PAD, an antique pencil sharpener, three tiger pops and a bag of sunflower seeds.)

3. I'm thankful for carrot cake cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. Lemme tell you something...if that crap wasn't already on the market, I would do commercials for it. Other than banana pudding from Virgil's, this was the best dessert I've had in a looooong time. (wiping up drool...hehehe)

4. I'm thankful for music. Sometimes we can take for granted just what role music plays in our lives. I mean, I bet all of us can hear a song and remember a situation where THAT SONG was playing, or associate a song to a person that we've crossed paths with. I try never to take music for granted, and because of that will always be an advocate for GOOD music. Today's hip-hop be damned.

5. Last but definitely not least, I'm very thankful for my family, who has been through alot this year with the death of my dad. Yesterday was very interesting, our first family gathering without him. Sure, the conversation flowed and the food was great, but it was just...different. Anyways, I'm thankful for my kin and won't hesitate to say that every time I see them. Besides, if it wasn't for family memories, what would I have to write about? LOL


scribbled by Will at 11/26/2004 01:40:00 PM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com