In My Write Mind
***Soundtrack: Truth Is, Fantasia, Free Yourself***
These are things I'm extremely thankful for on this post-Turkey Day...
1. I'm thankful that there have been no fights, brawls, stabbings or murders involving black athletes/entertainers in the past 3 days. (Minnesota's Michael Olowokandi getting tazered by cops doesn't count...he went clubbing in Indiana. I repeat, CLUBBING IN INDIANA!!! By doing so, he deserved what he got...LOL)
2. This probably belongs in THE UNDERGROUND, but I'll do it here just for today...LOL I'm thankful that I didn't get killed riding the subway the other day. Guess that's what the saying means when it says that God looks out for babies and fools. 'Cause apparently I was stupid to stand where I normally stand to catch the train in the mornings. This dude, who was sitting on the bench near the wall, jumped up ranting and raving, muttering that I should've stood somewhere else, that he should kill me for standing where I was. I froze. Here I was, on a New York City subway platform, inches away from the tracks, completely vulnerable if Cray-Z decided he wanted to do a remix of LL's new song and just "Pushhhhh!" What to do,what to do...
(I'm gonna make this one of those old-fashioned Choose Your Own Ending joints...you can either choose an ending from above or make up what you think I should've done. Leave it all in the comments section and I will post what really happened later today. Whomever guesses correctly wins, ummm...err ahhh...looking around desk...AN UNOPENED POST-IT PAD, an antique pencil sharpener, three tiger pops and a bag of sunflower seeds.)
3. I'm thankful for carrot cake cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. Lemme tell you something...if that crap wasn't already on the market, I would do commercials for it. Other than banana pudding from Virgil's, this was the best dessert I've had in a looooong time. (wiping up drool...hehehe)
4. I'm thankful for music. Sometimes we can take for granted just what role music plays in our lives. I mean, I bet all of us can hear a song and remember a situation where THAT SONG was playing, or associate a song to a person that we've crossed paths with. I try never to take music for granted, and because of that will always be an advocate for GOOD music. Today's hip-hop be damned.
5. Last but definitely not least, I'm very thankful for my family, who has been through alot this year with the death of my dad. Yesterday was very interesting, our first family gathering without him. Sure, the conversation flowed and the food was great, but it was just...different. Anyways, I'm thankful for my kin and won't hesitate to say that every time I see them. Besides, if it wasn't for family memories, what would I have to write about? LOL
scribbled by Will at 11/26/2004 01:40:00 PM
link | |
I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)
The Write One
Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971. Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will
It Was Written
They're All Write
THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
EJ da DJ
< < Blackblogz > >
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Who Links Here