In My Write Mind
11.11.2004

5 Things...

**Soundtrack: "Baby-Baby-Baby", TLC, Oooh, On the TLC Tip**

1. Toccara is gone from ANTM, and once again I feel like I've been a jinx (just like with the Lakers) and thusly, will NOT reveal in this space who I want to win the competition. Suffice it to say, though, her name rhymes with LaLa. *whistlin*

2. Now, I know this cat is from NYC and all, and I try to go a lil easier on my own folks since I know that growing up here is not all peaches and cream, but umm...this dude, I dunno anymore. Check this nonsense out:

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest said Wednesday that he asked coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a soon-to-be released rap album, which led to his two-game benching. Artest said that he asked Carlisle for as much as a month off to heal his aching body and recover from a particularly busy schedule.
"They probably expected a little more; expected me to play every game. Everybody's different. It's early in the season, so I feel like I could take some time off early and be ready for the long stretch." The 24-year-old is scheduled to release his debut rap album later this month and has been spending a lot of time making promotional appearances.

"I've been doing a little bit too much music, just needed the rest," Artest said. "I've still got my album coming out Nov. 23. After the album comes out I'm going to make sure all of my time is focused on winning a championship."

I need a moment after that...Lemme think. It's THREE games into the season...you had ALL SUMMER to drop this "diamond in the rap rough"...your team is already missing Reggie Miller and Jermaine O'Neal is playing on one leg...your coach asked you to reconsider...you're NOT INJURED...

I can't do it. Lawd knows I tried. I can't give him a pass on this one. The defense would like to enter an insanity plea, Your Honor. All I have to say is, this CD better drop like it's hot and you better be the next coming of Big Daddy Kane in his prime, HomeSlice.

3. I woke up Wednesday night to the news that Pan Pan had burnt down, insides gutted out by a two-alarm fire. Best known as the backdrop to Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name" video, it also served as my Saturday morning breakfast spot now that I live in Harlem. I also used to go there when i would venture uptown to do some research at the Schomburg, which is diagonally across the street.
**Aside: Was it wrong for me, not so much to be thinking about the owners when I heard the news, but of my dress shirts, that were in the cleaners two stores down? Just asking...**
They will rebuild. Pan Pan will be back. And so will I. Hell, I'll even be their first customer for their re-opening if they'll have me. Can somebody set that up?
4. Tuesday night at the New York Marriott Marquis, the National Urban League honored stalwarts in the areas of community service, corporate leadership and the humanities. The honorees included Andrew Taylor of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Ingrid Saunders Jones of The Coca Cola Company and Patti LaBelle, Grammy-winning music artist. It was a black tie affair and annually serves as the League's biggest fundraiser. This year, thanks to corporate and private donations, the organization raised $1.5 million. (Yes, this means that I still have a job...LOL)
The National Urban League, who's tagline is "Empowering Communities. Changing Lives." will be celebrating its 95th anniversary in 2005.
5. I got a lot of great feedback about my NE blog from Monday. I'm gonna do more of that in the future as time permits. Dig up old artists and break down their hits. Should be fun.
Also, in case you missed it, last week's IMWM BIG WILLIE OF THE WEEK was none other than Willie Randolph, new manager of the New York Mets. Congrats again to him and I wish him the best.
This week's IMWM BIG WILLIE OF THE WEEK recognition goes to The West Wing. After a season and a half of floundering due to the departure of series creator and head writer Aaron Sorkin, the WING is back, babeeee!!! If you're not a fan, borrow someone's DVD sets of the first few seasons and get hooked. Or check out Bravo weeknights at 7 for the repeats. Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda join the cast in the coming weeks. Congrats to the West Wing for "writing" their wrongs and putting their creative train back on track.



scribbled by Will at 11/11/2004 11:13:00 AM
link | |

Mind Droppings

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. (Joan Didion)



The Write One


Will. Lefty. Since Summer 1971.
Over the next six months, I'll be saying some hellos, some goodbyes. Living, laughing, growing. Don't.miss.a.word.
More About Will
Even MORE About Will


Previously...on IMWM
It Was Written

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005


They're All Write

THE FLOW MAGAZINE
NYC BLOGGER MEETUP: LABOR DAY
Kage
Keisha
Sid
Mahogany Elle
Lisa
Danies
Yolie
Golden
Edwige
Nikki
Beloved
R.P.M.
TriniPrincess
Ms.Thing
Humanity Critic
EJ da DJ
HoneySoul Sista
ProacTiff
Kajuana
Leon
Suezette
Butta
Linga
Danyel
Mia
Serenity23
Panama
Wise Diva
CocoaButterflyy
Brown Sugar
Cee
Songbirds
Slow Metamorphosis
Kiesha
Donyell
Thykness
Ms. Tee
Jazz
Danja
Rhapsodi
Kelvin
Singing
Butterfly Locs
Carmel Complexion
Sun
ManNMotion
The Doorman
< < Blackblogz > >


Blogroll Me!


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Who Links Here
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com